|Six athletes qualify to later rounds; three register personal best performances at the World Youth Championships
Veuillez cliquer ici pour voir la version français
The International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) World Youth Championships kicked off today in Donetsk, Ukraine.
Both Mariam Abdul-Rashid of Oshawa, Ont., and Kendra Clarke of Edmonton, Alta., qualified into the 400-metres semi finals. Mariam finished third in her heat in 56.80 seconds, Kendra was second in her heat in 54.95 seconds. The 400-metres semi final is tomorrow at 12:10pm eastern time (ET).
Stephanie Cho of Vancouver B.C., placed second in her 400-metre hurdles in 1:01.10 and qualifies onto the semi finals which take place tomorrow at 5:55amET. Lexi Aitken of London, Ont., ran 1:03.27 and does not advance.
In the boy’s 400-metre hurdles Daniel Brady of Toronto, Ont., qualified into the semi finals by placing third in his heat in 54.65 seconds. Davis Edward of London, Ont., finished sixth in his heat in 54.87 seconds and does not advance. The 400-metre hurdles semi final is tomorrow at 12:40pmET.
Leya Buchanan of Mississauga, Ont., clocked 12.05 seconds to qualify into the semi final in the girl’s 100-metres. Natasha Brown of Edmonton, Alta., ran 12.08 seconds and does not advance. The semi finals are tomorrow at 10:50amET.
A personal best was run by Bridgewater, N.S.’s Tobias Wolter over the 2000-metre steeplechase. His time of 5:51.03 qualifies him to the finals on Friday. Ben Preisner of Milton, Ont., does not advance with a time of 5:57.60.
In the girl’s 3000-metres final Charlotte Prouse of London, Ont., finished 13th running a personal best time of 9:49.69.
- Bailey Dell of LaSalle, Ont., and Brittni Wolczyk of Port Coquitlam, B.C., threw 45.00 and 44.38 metres respectively in the girl’s javelin; neither advance
- In the 100-metres Aaron Hector and Lucas Robinson do not advance. Lucas finished third in his heat in 11.08 seconds, while Aaron was sixth in 11.29.
- Heather Jaros of Kingston, Ont., and Megan Rempel of Fenwick, Ont., do not advance in the 1500-metres; their times were 4:45.21 and 4:40.56 respectively
- 400-metres runners Jake Hanna of Surrey B.C., ran 49.29 and Alexander Szuba of Lasalle, Que., ran 49.72; neither advance
- Abbotsford, B.C.’s Manpreet Grewal registered a discus throw of 36.01 metres and does not advance to the girl’s final
- In the girl’s 100-metre hurdles Juliana Puopolo of Thornhill, Ont., and Tia Thevenin of Ajax, Ont., do not advance with times of 14.39 and 15.47 seconds respectively
- Carter Day of Windsor, Ont., and Thomas Oxland of Nanaimo, B.C., both do not advance in the boy’s 800-metres registering 1:53.13 and 1:55.60 respectively; a personal best for Oxland.
For more information including the schedule, Canadians in action tomorrow, live streaming and results visit: http://www.athletics.ca/page.asp?id=668.
Coordinator, Marketing and Communications
(613) 260-5580 x.3332