Yes, last Saturday (April 26th) our club was awarded a capital improvements grant of $110,000 for:
1. New bleachers (clubhouse will be moved further south).
- 300 seats, Accessible, with up-to-date safety features, moving close to the track straightaway finish line.
- 2 sets of 30 seats in the Jumps and Throws area.
2. A new paved 15′ wide road/path from the main (south) gate along the 100m straight between the new bleachers and the track fence. This achieves full accessibility for athletes and spectators. This will also make damp weather spectating a much less muddy experience, and will allow club maintenance and meet equipment to be transported more reliably.
3. And lastly – New hurdle carts for easier setup and take down during training and meets.
I think we can say a huge Thank You to The Ontario Trillium Foundation! This gives our athletes, in fact all junior athletes in the Niagara Region, a new level of facility for training and competition. Thank You to Minister Jim Bradley, MPP for St. Catharines, Mayor Brian McMullan, and Mr. Harvey Hagerty of the Ontario Trillium Foundation, for presenting the award, accompanied by such kind and positive words of real encouragement for our athletes.
Another huge Thank You has to go out to the Team at the Niagara Sport Commission, who helped us compose, verify and support our bid, through each of the not-so-easy steps. Bram, Chris and Matt, we could not have achieved this without you. We look forward to collaborating in so many more ways to enhance our sport over the coming months and years.
All of the volunteers working on the club’s behalf should be rightly proud of this achievement. Impossible without your incredible efforts!
Here are a few pics from Saturday’s ceremonies. We look forward to your support as we enter the project execution phases, to ensure that the money is wisely and frugally spent.